Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Make the Mayo already. -Whole30

'Twas the eve of our Whole30, and all through the house, I was meal-planning and avoiding my spouse.....

The day before our Whole30 began I was making lists and checking them twice. I was planning and prepping and stressing and dreading. I had no idea how challenging and rewarding the next 30 days would be. I was sure they would be different, hopefully not desperate times for us. I was also sure Joseh was going to "need" some comfort foods. Mayo-making was at the top of my list of to-dos so I pinned recipes, compared, stocked the pantry and got to work making the mayo. 

And it was okay. Nothing to write home about, but okay. So I revisited my pins, reviewed and revised again and again every week until I have what now, we like best.

It's thick enough to stand alone but creamy enough to work into salads and dressings without being gloppy. 

I know there are lots of Paleo/Whole30/Homemade mayo recipes out there and try mine and if it's not right for you then try another, but this one is our favorite!

Ingredients
1 room temperature egg
1 Tbsp apple cider or red wine vinegar
1/2 Tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup light tasting olive oil or avacado oil

Method
I use my food processor at home and the blender at the beach. Either way works great.

In the bowl of the food processor combine everything but the oil. Give it a whirl for about 20-30 seconds then remove the small cover in the lid and slowly drizzle your oil in through the hole with the blades going. Pour a slow steady drizzle until all of the oil is incorporated. (This takes me about 2 minutes, maybe a smidge less.)


I store mine in a mason jar in the fridge. I use a dry erase marker on the lid to make sure I know what's in there. 

Now, go ahead, make the mayo already! 

No comments:

Post a Comment