Monday, November 4, 2013

My favorite meals...

This week's menu is perhaps reflective of my trip to my hometown over the weekend. These are some of MY favorite meals and I hope they are favorites at your house too! We're cooking up 5 dinners this week and two nights feature entree's that can be split between a meal for tonight and one for the freezer. This is my absolute new favorite thing to do! Enjoy!!




Miss Daisy's Turkey Divan- this is one where we'll serve half and freeze half. It will give your family 2 amazing dinners. If I'm making this on Sundays I'll serve the whole thing, but for a weeknight this works for us twice. Its simple southern comfort food at its absolute finest!

2- 10 oz. packages Frozen broccoli
2-3 cups cooked turkey, diced or sliced
Sauce
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cup mayo
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup toasted bread crumbs (half if freezing
1 tbsp margarine (half if freezing)

In a glass baking dish, put a layer of broccoli and turkey. Prepare Sauce by mixing remaining ingredients and pour over broccoli and turkey. Top with bread crumbs and margarine. This can be made ahead of time and heated.
***SIDE NOTE***
I just had to share this-Miss Daisy herself shared this little blog on facebook with her followers!


She's just wonderful and I want to say Thank you for the kind words and welcome to those of you who may be visiting and are also fans of Daisy King. I've never gone wrong turning to one of her recipes and I truly appreciate the kind words.

She shared this recipe of mine on facebook. 

***NOW BACK TO OUR MENU***

Pork Tenderloin, biscuits, apple butter, green beans, corn-I'm going to coat my pork tenderloin in Dijon mustard and sear it on all sides in a medium-high skillet. Then I finish it off in a 350 oven for about 40-50 minutes. Let it rest while baking some biscuits and cooking my veggies o the stove. I told you about my love of canning in this post, so I'm using some of the apple butter I made! You, too can can!

Meatloaf, Mac-n-cheese, Lima beans. Sometimes you just go with what you know, and for me this meal is just that.

Baked pasta with sausage-using mild or sweet Italian sausage that you've browned and sliced make a no-fuss pasta bake by boiling your favorite pasta (rigatoni, shells or fusilli are easiest for my kids!), tossing it into a Pyrex dish that you've prepared with olive oil--OR TWO SMALLER PYREX-one prepped with oil the other lined with foil then a dash of olive oil--toss pasta with sliced sausage, a large can of diced tomatoes (drained) and about 1.5 cups of grated mozzarella or slices of provolone bake at 350 for 23-30 minutes. 

Breakfast for dinner! Pancakes, sausage links, cheese grits, fruit

The oven is working overtime this week! I'm putting together some items to donate to a bake sale and serving these beauties for the family! Yum!!


Baked Blueberry Muffins
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 generous cup canned blueberry pie filling

Preheat your oven to 375 and grease (i use real Crisco when making doughnuts) and flour 2 pans.
Mix of sift together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside. Using a mixer, combine butter and sugar then add egg, buttermilk and vanilla and combine. Mix in dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in pie filling and fill doughnut pan wells 2/3 full. Bake 13-17 minutes. Let cool in pans for  a few minutes then turn out onto wire racks. I buttered some and they were extra tasty. Yield one dozen. 


These are the pans I use and I am LOVING them. 


That's what's cooking with the Wests this week, I hope you have a great one! Come back next Monday for another week of family dinners!



No comments:

Post a Comment