Friday, January 13, 2017

Chicken Rub-Whole30




On my very 1st Whole30 shopping trip I spent a good 20 minutes on the seasoning aisle of my local grocery store reading label after label of seasoning blends. Almost every single pre-mixed seasoning contained sugar, sulfates or another eliminated ingredient.

I was a tad frustrated but knew I could easily fix this little problem by taking matters into my own hands in my own kitchen. 

I came home and started mixing and measuring and this is the final result of some trials and revisions and is now my go-to spice blend for chicken. I use it at least once a week (usually more) for three months now and we have not gotten tired of it nor do we miss the sugars one bit.

Meet my friend, 6 Pounds of Chicken Rub.
(It's enough to to do 6+ pounds of chicken, it doesn't make 6 pounds of rub, that would be crazy!)

Ingredients
2T Chili powder
1T Onion
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Dry Mustard
1/4 tsp Corriander
1/2 tsp Chipotle powder
Pepper to taste

I also make a Spicy Steak rub that is great and sugar and preservative free

Ingredients
1.5 Tablespoons Mr. Pepper
1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground chipotle
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp red pepper
Salt to taste

The Taco/Fajita/Mexican seasoning I use is from the Pioneer Woman. I've made my own for years and always have it in hand. I always double it so here's the doubled recipe for you saving you some math. You're welcome.

4 tsp Chili powder
1Tablespoon Cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp red pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp onion
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper

Thanks, PW! We love it! 



I keep all of my rubs and seasoning mixes in glass jars labeled on top and the recipe on the side. 


This makes it oh-so easy to spot them in the pantry and simple to remix them when I'm running low. 

If you need a label maker (and we all do!) here's the one I use. It lives in my pantry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment