Monday, May 20, 2013

The Wests this Week

It's been an unusual week for us, but not much exciting to report.

Lots of cooking and eating. Playing and keeping up with things around the house.

Just as I left to go get Jay from his last day of school last week, we got the unfortunate news that Joseph's grandmother passed away. It was a month to-the-day since my own grandmother's funeral.

So, we've been dealing that all that comes with a loss in the family while living our daily lives with our little ones.

I feel like I've heard dozens of messages lately telling me about the importance of the investment of TIME with your children. So, that is what we've been doing.

Joseph built this amazing swing...which has helped us all.


I've cooked, baked and fed us all into a comfortable place.

Lizzy went with us to Nanny's funeral on Thursday while Jay played at a friend's house. She has officially become a velcro baby as she would not go to ANYONE but me ALL day. My arm finally recovered sometime on Saturday. We then went to a buddies' birthday party and she did it again.

I believe we're starting to have "Sunday dinner" at our house. At least we did yesterday and plan to again this week. At first it will help us all to heal, then (hopefully) it will be a place of comfort and good memories for our children.

My mom always cooked on Sundays growing up (really, she cooked 2-3 meals a day, every day) and whomever wanted to come eat could. There was always a plate for you if you wanted to "fix" one. It just seemed normal to me as a child then when I was a teenager I looked forward to the time I could spend with my brothers and their families, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and friends.

It wasn't "Norman Rockwell"--we didn't even all eat at once, but it was consistently a time to come together, rest, eat and spend some time with loved ones. So, yesterday I cooked. Chicken and dressing, Squash Casserole, Macaroni and Cheese, Slaw, rolls, tea and peach cobbler. ("Yellow food" as Cathy would say)

Here's hoping for a great week and nothing out-of-the-ordinary for this crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment