Friday, April 26, 2013

Mocha-Cake-Love

My sweet cousin, Kathy shared this cake with us a few weeks ago when Grandmommy passed away and shared the recipe with me this week when a friend of Dede's lost her father.

This is my new go-to recipe when I need a dessert to take to a friend, family or pot-luck. It is amazing.

Kathy and I cook the exact same way...only measuring when necessary and shooting from the hip. What can I say?? When it comes to the kitchen we were both raised right.

This is how Kathy and I made this awesome cake.

Cake:
1 box Chocolate Cake mix ( i used Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge) according to package directions.
3 Tablespoons Instant Coffee, dissolved in a bit of water

Follow cake instructions, I cut about 5 minutes off of my baking time to make sure my cake was nice and most and to prevent any burning of the edges.

Frosting: 
2/3 Cup softened butter
2 1/2 to 3 cups Confectioners sugar
3T Cocoa ( i used Hershey's)
Strong Brewed Coffee and Cream (I did 1/2 cup of HOT water with 3T of instant coffee and added enough vanilla creamer to make the coffee a khaki color)

Mix  butter and sugar (add sugar in thirds) on medium, then switch to high after butter and sugar are incorporated  Add Coffee Tablespoon at time and mix well. (Mixture will be sandy before adding the liquid, ti's okay) If your frosting is too grainy  add more (coffee) liquid. If it's too bland add another 1/2 -1 teaspoon of cocoa. If it's too runny add more confectioners sugar and make it your own. 

Try this next time you are taking food to a new parent, new neighbor, the bereaved  a pot-luck, or anytime you and coffee lovers gather in the name of glucose.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment