Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Years and News


To ring in 2011 Joseph and I went to the NYE Gala hosted by the Junior League of Tuscaloosa. We made an outing of it and were joined by Jennifer and Sean and Jon and Stacey Miles.



 And now for our news! Starting January 1st (01-1-11), I became a full-time stay-at-home mom!

I returned to work on November 1st (11-1-10)  as planned before Jay was born and immediately knew it was not what I wanted to do. The position I held within the athletic department would continue to require the 7-day work weeks and crazy schedule I had maintained for the last 4 years. I thought I could balance the regular work week with the athletic events and make a "normal" schedule for our family. The reality is that I would have been sacrificing too much and taking from our family to benefit the athletic department without receiving equal benefits in return. So, after 6 weeks of juggling Jay between Dede, Mimi, Daddy and Mommy with 2 pooped grandmothers, a stressed out dad and a guilt ridden emotional wreck mommy we made the decision we all knew was right....I resigned effective December 31 and have not looked back.

I am officially one week into my new career now and it feels very odd not to have "work" in the back of my mind somewhere. I've never felt so well equipped to do anything before, I am 100% certain that I am better at being a mother (and hopefully a wife) than I have ever been as an employee or coworker. I know this is what I was meant to do. I think we are all sleeping easier at night not dreading the next morning and wondering if what we were doing as a family was "right" and when it would get easier or better.

I have an amazing husband who is a remarkable provider and has made this possible for our family. If you would have asked me when I was 20 about my career when I was 30 I am sure I would have given an answer full of confidence and arrogance that I would be established and a leader in my chosen industry--maybe I was and maybe I wasn't. I can tell you now, at 30, I am more secure than I have ever been. Maybe I am not on fire to move up professionally or reach new heights in my career and make a name for myself, but that is okay with me. I don't feel like I have anything to prove. I am completely happy with my life and all of the blessings I see everywhere I turn. I have been given far more than I deserve. I am committed to giving my husband and child the best of what I have to offer. I am NOT willing to sacrifice that for anything in this world. I have had great opportunities, worked with wonderful people along the way and made some fun memories--the thing that makes me smile more is the thought that now I am doing what I was intended to do. I am just starting the greatest adventure of my life and all of our experiences and lessons up until this point have made this possible. Here's to a new year and a new chapter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment